Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Law Office of Jennifer Kane Waterway, PA
Handset 954.332.2410

Fort Lauderdale Post-Judgment Modification, Contempt & Enforcement

When issues in your case are resolved, you are left with a final judgment or other court orders. If circumstances change and you need to modify the final judgment or a party is not obeying court orders, you may need to initiate post-judgment modification, contempt, or enforcement proceedings. This can be difficult. For legal advice on how to proceed, contact Jennifer Kane Waterway, P.A. now.

When Can I Modify the Final Judgment?

The Final Judgment is final and binding on both parties. Therefore, it can be very difficult to modify the final judgment. To modify the final judgment, you or the opposing party (your spouse or your child’s other parent) needs to prove a substantial change has occurred. Legally, this is a high standard, so you should hire an experienced South Florida family law attorney for assistance. Additionally, not every part of the final judgment can be modified. Generally, issues of child support and parenting plans can be modified. Alimony is sometimes nonmodifiable but can be addressed in other ways, such as abatement. Abatement permits a party who cannot meet his or her obligations to put the matter on hold until he or she obtains employment and is able to comply, for example.

What Is Contempt of an Order?

Court orders impose a legal obligation for the parties to obey those orders. That is, you and the opposing party are legally required to follow the court’s order. When a party willfully fails to obey the order, he or she may be found in contempt of the order. A party in contempt faces serious legal penalties. If the opposing party in your case is not obeying the order or is accusing you of contempt, contact Jennifer Kane Waterway for help.

How Can I Enforce the Order?

Court orders are enforced by asking the court to enforce them or encouraging the other side to comply to avoid the expense of a court proceeding. Every case is different, so the options depend on the circumstances. If you prove the opposing party is not following the final judgment, the court may force them to fulfill their obligations. One example of enforcement is a judge garnishing a parent’s wages for failing to pay child support.

Seeking modification, contempt, or enforcement of an order is tough. You should not go to court alone to handle your case. Instead, contact experienced family lawyer Jennifer Kane Waterway. With years spent helping South Florida families, Attorney Waterway has the experience, training, and knowledge to help you. Jennifer Kane Waterway will work closely with you, answering all your questions along the way, and develop a strategy best suited to address your needs. Contact her today to discuss your case.

Share This Page:
AV - Peer Review Rated
AV - Peer Review Rated
Champion Client Gold 2021
Super Lawyers
The Law Office of Jennifer Kane Waterway, P.A. is located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and serves clients in and around Fort Lauderdale and the tri-county area of Broward County, Palm Beach County, and Miami-Dade County, including, but not limited to, Coral Springs, Parkland, Coconut Creek, Tamarac, Margate, Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach, Lauderdale By The Sea, Oakland Park, Wilton Manors, Sunrise, Plantation, Davie, Pembroke Pines, Weston, Hollywood, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, West Palm Beach, Aventura, Miami, Miami Beach, and Coral Gables.
Law Office of Jennifer Jane Waterway, PA Building

Office Location

401 E. Las Olas Blvd., Ste. 1400
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Phone: 954.332.2410
Fax: 954.206.2111

Get Directions

Practice Areas

Follow Us

  • Facebook
  • Linked In

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission from www.waterwaylaw.com.

MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2014 - 2024 Law Office of Jennifer Kane Waterway, P.A. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.

Contact Form Tab